Monday, October 14, 2013

Field Trip to Virginia!

Hello everyone, my interior design class from Randolph Community College went to Virginia to go to the home of James Madison which is Montpelier and also to the home of Thomas Jefferson which is Monticello.  We left at 9 am on October 10, 2013 and got there around 1 pm. Our drive up there was just beautiful, the leaves were changing and the mountains were just as blue as can be. I fell in love with everything that mother earth has provided.

Thursday October 10, 2013
Our first stop was Montpelier, the home of James Madison. James Madison married Dolley Todd on September 15, 1794. He served as Thomas Jefferson secretary and then served two terms as the president. In 1817, Dolley and James Madison retired to Montpelier.
Walking up to the front of James Madison's house.


The front of his house.

The beautiful view from the front porch of Madison's house.

Friday October 11, 2013
Our last place we went to was Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson. January 1772 Thomas married Martha Skelton. Martha had 7 children but only 2 other the children, Martha and Mary lived till adulthood. After Martha gave birth to her last daughter, Lucy, she passed away and Thomas buried his wife in the graveyard at Monticello. Thomas and James Madison were best friends. Madison would come over the Thomas's house and stay for a while.
Garden at Monticello
Garden


At the gift shop, looking over the garden.


Walking up to the front of the house is a cool looking tree.

The front of Thomas Jefferson's house.


The entry way to the front of the house.

Front of the house.
This flower is what lines the walkway to the horse stables under the house.

A flower from the flower garden at the back of the house.
 
The back of Thomas Jefferson's house.


After we got done with our tour of Monticello we started to come home. I really enjoyed both Montpelier and Monticello. Everything was beautiful and the history was very interesting. I would have really wished we had more time to do everything but I know where I will be going soon so I can get to learn more about both houses. I think everyone should visit Montpelier and Monticello because there is a lot to learn. I hope everyone has a nice day and I hope everyone enjoyed my trip just as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment